Harrisburg, Pa., May 17, 2023 – The Commonwealth Foundation today kicked off an advocacy campaign called “Shapiro’s Promises” to generate support for bipartisan initiatives that Gov. Josh Shapiro committed to during his recent campaign and align with the Foundation’s vision for a better Pennsylvania.
Commonwealth Foundation stands ready to help the governor live up to what he promised Pennsylvania voters, including:
- Enacting Lifeline Scholarships: Funding Lifeline scholarships to provide alternatives for children trapped in the bottom 15% of worst-performing district schools. These scholarships would allow parents to use government-funded education opportunity accounts for restricted educational expenses, including tuition, tutoring, online education programs, and therapies for students with special needs.
- Expanding Education Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) Scholarships: Protecting and expanding EITC scholarships, which allow businesses to donate money to nonprofit organizations that provide scholarships to low-income and middle-income children in Pennsylvania to attend pre-kindergarten or K-12 private school.
- Accelerating Corporate Net Income Tax (CNIT) Reduction: Lowering Pennsylvania’s tax rate on businesses to 4% by 2025 to spur economic growth by attracting new companies to the state and encouraging existing businesses to remain in Pennsylvania.
- Addressing Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI) Concerns: Working with the legislature to find solutions to the problems that RGGI will bring to Pennsylvania families, including increased electric utility bills amid already skyrocketing energy prices.
- Expanding Telehealth: Expanding access to telemedicine; providing Pennsylvanians with increased access to affordable health care.
- Permitting Reform: Speeding up the process for businesses and individuals to obtain state-issued professional licenses, permits, or certifications—and holding government bureaucrats accountable for delays.
“We don’t agree with Gov. Shapiro on every issue, but we stand united around these important priorities and we’re ready to work arm-in-arm to help him follow through on his promises that will ensure a better Pennsylvania,” said Commonwealth Foundation Senior Vice President Erik Telford.
“These measures are overwhelmingly popular with voters and enjoy bipartisan support in the legislature,” he said. “It’s time to deliver on these common-ground solutions that are desperately needed to improve the lives of all Pennsylvanians.”
The ShapiroPromises.com campaign will include a digital and social media campaign that drives Pennsylvanians to a website where they can learn more and contact the governor’s office to show their support for these bipartisan initiatives.
As part of the campaign kickoff, to serve as a constant reminder to the governor and lawmakers that campaign promises matter, the Commonwealth Foundation has unveiled striking new 14-feet-high signs in its windows facing the state Capitol steps on State and Third Streets. The signs are scheduled to be installed this week.
The Shapiro-Commonwealth Foundation-backed policies enjoy strong support among Pennsylvania voters, and many of these policies have already advanced out of the State Senate. According to a recent survey conducted for the Commonwealth Foundation:
Question: You will now read a list of bipartisan measures supported by Governor Shapiro during his campaign. After each, please indicate if you support or oppose Governor Shapiro and lawmakers in Harrisburg working across the aisle to enact these measures in 2023.
“We stand ready to work with Gov. Shapiro to enact these critical solutions,” Telford said. “The governor and lawmakers have an opportunity to unite across party lines, set a new tone in Harrisburg, and improve the lives of all Pennsylvanians.”
The Commonwealth Foundation transforms free-market ideas into public policies so all Pennsylvanians can flourish.