Five Fiscal Facts about the Pennsylvania state budget you might have missed:
- The total state operating budget is $64 billion…and will be reduced for the first time in at least 40 years.
- While adults employed in public schools complain education is being cut to the bone, school districts have amassed $3 billion in reserves thanks to dramatic increases in state aid and property taxes.
- Lawmakers passed legislation to give voters a greater say in school tax increases, moving Pennsylvania closer to the controls taxpayers in every other state benefit from.
- There is no “surplus”. State government is not paying all its bills, including passing off payments for pensions onto our children.
- Pennsylvania will soon become the 37th state in the nation to put all state government spending online.