The April 2010 edition of the Inside ALEC newsletter has a number of ideas Pennsylvania lawmakers should look at to balance the state budget, and for long-term fiscal reform. Some articles worth checking out:
- Texas Comptroller Susan Combs writes about how state spending transparency saved millions in her state (see a related CF PolicyPoints on state spending transparency).
- Richard Vedder summarize how high tax burdens result in population losses to other states (a recent CF piece highlights how Pennsylvania is a big loser in state to state migration).
- Lawmakers in Colorado and Kansas, respectively, highlight successful efforts to use priority-based budgeting and to privatize certain state operations.
- Jason Mercier from the Washington Policy Center summarizes why taxpayers need constitutional protections.
- Kristina Rasmussen of the Illinois Policy Institute offers some innovative ideas for pension funding.
Get the full newsletter here.