This proposal mirrors some of the reforms outlined in our Policy Brief on Pennsylvania higher education. Our five reforms were:
- Immediately halting all state higher education subsidies and making any increase contingent upon freezes in tuition costs and greater spending transparency for taxpayers.
- Replacing direct state subsidies to universities with scholarship grants to students.
- Holding students, colleges, and universities accountable for the taxpayer support they receive.
- Re-focusing all state institutions on teaching, rather than research.
- Considering a re-organization of state higher education, including the possibility of severing the taxpayers’ financial support to state, state-related, and state-aided universities.
You can find our news release on the Piccola proposal here, and you should list to a recent program of The BOX on higher education reform.