Delware County Councilman Andy Lewis is fighting against taxpayer funding for the proposed soccer stadium in Chester, noting (among other things) that Major League Soccer might go under, leaving a stadium with no tenant.
The fact of the matter is that taxpayer-funded sports stadiums don’t produce new jobs, spur economic growth, or “pay for themselves” – even when they aren’t empty bowls.
- Taxpayers helping millionaires
- Lemieux: “Pennsylvania Taxpayers are Suckers”
- Corporate Welfare 101
- Soccer Score: Team owners: 50 million, Taxpayers: 0
- Surprise! Stadium Predictions Flawed
- Take Us Out to the Ball Game
- A Closer Look at Stadium Subsidies
- Stadiums and Subsidies: Home Run for Wealthy Team Owners, Strike-out for Taxpayers
- Economics of Sports Stadiums