Are you a wizard with words who excels at developing effective written content? Do you have a creative spark and knack for capturing the unique voice of others? If you’re looking for an opportunity to apply your skills and talent to make a positive contribution and help others flourish, this could be the role for you. The Commonwealth Foundation is seeking a forward-thinking Managing Editor to develop a world- class editorial capability and to lead the editorial strategy for our owned and placed content.
In this role, you will manage the organization’s content pipeline, act as lead editor and writer to increase the organizations reach, and work closely with members of the communications, policy, development, and government affairs team to provide exceptional writing and editing services that advance our policy goals and business objectives.
This is a remote position (with the option to work out of our offices in Harrisburg or King of Prussia) and will report to the Director of Marketing.
- Manage content pipeline and content production process, including identifying opportunities for commentary, contributing to outlines, serving as a lead writer and editor, and pitching products to external publications.
- Manage day-to-day priorities of writing and editing team, including contract writers and editors.
- Partner with the Director of Marketing and the Director of Media to ideate new opportunities for commentary.
Writing and Editing
- Bring a creative spark to the organization’s writing to better engage our primary audiences (staff members, investors, and lawmakers), primarily through ghostwritten materials.
- Manage the editing process and contribute to the production of op-eds, blog posts, email communications, and other projects, with a particular focus on editing others’ work for clarity, conciseness, and messaging alignment. •
- Work with writing contractors to greatly expand Commonwealth Foundation’s reach statewide and nationally, enabling the organization to take prompt advantage of emerging opportunities.
- 3+ years’ experience managing content processes and writing and editing teams, including full- time staff and/or contractors.
- A track record of identifying opportunities and executing on them rapidly, either independently or by mobilizing a team.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills, able to set and meet project targets.
- Experience with content management systems.
- Detail oriented editor that is passionate about improving the structure or argument of written materials.
- Excellent writing and editing skills across a variety of mediums.
- Knowledge of and experience with AP Stylebook and/or Chicago Manual of Style.
- Belief that achieving the organization’s goals is more important than having your name on a published piece.
The Commonwealth Foundation is among the most effective and influential state-based think tanks in the country. With a top-notch team of policy analysts and communication experts, the Commonwealth Foundation transforms free-market ideas into public policies, so all Pennsylvanians can flourish. Our work is driven by our core values of:
- Treating everyone with dignity,
- Stewardship of our investors’ time and treasure, and
- Pursuing productive solutions to problems.
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Monthly stipend for health care.
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance.
- Reimbursements for needed mobile technology and home office supplies.
- 4% company contributions towards retirement plan.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials as a single PDF to email@example.com:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position and mission of the Commonwealth Foundation and your salary requirements.
- Writing (2) and editing (2) samples.