The Commonwealth Foundation for Public Policy Alternatives, commonly known as the Commonwealth Foundation or CF, is Pennsylvania’s free-market think tank.
Our mission is simple: CF crafts free-market policies, convinces Pennsylvanians of their benefits, and counters attacks on liberty.
We do this because of the vision CF has for our state, which is of a “state of freedom” in which all Pennsylvanians enjoy an abundance of opportunities to provide for themselves, their families, and their neighbors.
Since CF began fighting for freedom here in Pennsylvania back in 1988, we have saved taxpayers billions of dollars, brought greater knowledge of free-market principles and happenings in Harrisburg to millions of fellow citizens, and helped enable hundreds of thousands of families to choose a school for themselves.
CF has earned the praise of leaders in Pennsylvania politics and policy:
- U.S. Senator Pat Toomey says, “The Commonwealth Foundation is the leading organization in Pennsylvania that champions free markets and limited government. No public policy group in the state is more effective at advancing the common sense reforms that our state so desperately needs.”
- Former Governor George Leader says, “The Commonwealth Foundation does fantastic work that helps Pennsylvanians of all political parties and persuasions. They were key in helping my family do what I thought beforehand was impossible—enacting real corrections reform in 2012—and I am excited about their agenda going forward.”
- Former Lieutenant Governor Bill Scranton says, “The Commonwealth Foundation has brought important balance to the public policy debate in Harrisburg. It has forced an honest discussion about the core principles and irrefutable facts that have been missing from the Capitol for some time.”
- State Representative Mike Turzai, the House Majority Leader, says, “Commonwealth Foundation is on my speed dial. I can’t thank them enough for making the case with research, reason, and tremendous scholarship.”
- State Senator John Eichelberger says, “No one is more effective on the biggest state issues than the Commonwealth Foundation. Simply the best.”