Director of Media and Public Relations
Are you skilled at developing and delivering successful communications, messaging, and media strategies? Do you excel at developing relationships and amplifying messages through earned media? If you’re looking for an opportunity to apply your skills and talent to make a positive contribution and help others flourish, this might be the role for you. The Commonwealth Foundation is seeking a Director of Media & Public Relations to grow our brand, strengthen our positioning in national and local media markets, and build a world-class media relations team. This role will be responsible for developing and leading the organization’s media and public relations strategy, in close partnership with organizational leaders and outside vendors.
In this role, you will work closely with members of the communications, policy, and government affairs teams, providing media and PR guidance and execution to advance the brand of Commonwealth Foundation and our executives, while advancing our policy goals and overall organizational objectives.
The Director of Media & Public Relations is a remote position, with a strong preference for candidates located within two hours driving distance of offices in Harrisburg, Philadelphia, or Washington, D.C.
- Develop and lead Commonwealth Foundation’s media and public relations strategy through development to execution, ensuring goals are established and met for earned media, thought leadership, and public positioning.
- Cultivate and develop strong relationships with key reporters, producers, and media outlets at the national, state, and local levels, leading personal outreach and engagement with key outlets, while also supporting executives and allies in media relationship building.
- Build a world-class media relations capability—through managing internal team and vendors—to effectively position Commonwealth Foundation as a leader in our priority issue areas, while successfully advancing our vision, policy objectives, and business goals.
- Identify opportunities to raise the profile of the organization and our executives through earned and placed media, events and public engagements, and other innovative tactics or strategies.
- Monitor the media landscape and seize breaking news opportunities to tie Commonwealth Foundation’s issues and priorities to news of the day, toward increasing earned coverage of the organization and our experts.
- Turn research and policy materials into compelling, media-ready talking points and quotes for pitching to reporters/editors/producers.
- Manage media contacts and develop processes and measurement for earned media tracking.
- 4-8+ years’ experience in media relations, communications, public affairs, or public policy / political campaign work.
- Proven track record of success developing and executing public relations and media strategies for organizations and individuals.
- Established relationships with national publications, editors, and reporters, with experience achieving earned coverage, managing rapid response, and developing creative approaches to maximize media opportunities.
- Demonstrated success developing talent as a supervisor, managing vendors, and collaborating with other teams, executives, and key stakeholders.
- Ability to distill complex policy issues into clear and effective public-facing messaging and products that gain attention.
- Firm grasp of media landscape with ability to spot and seize opportunities before others.
- Comfort navigating ambiguity, with the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently for in-person media meetings and events is required, with some knowledge of the Pennsylvania media landscape preferred.
- Experience setting and executing public relations and media strategies for organizations and individuals.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
The Commonwealth Foundation is among the most effective and influential state-based think tanks in the country. With a top-notch team of policy analysts and communication experts, CF transforms free-market ideas into public policies, so all Pennsylvanians can flourish. Our work is driven by our core values of:
- Treating everyone with dignity,
- Stewardship of our investors’ time and treasure, and
- Pursuing productive solutions to problems.
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive health benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance with an 80 percent employer contribution.
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Reimbursements for needed mobile technology and home office supplies.
- 4% company contributions towards retirement plan
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit complete the online application, HERE.