Audio: Gov. Wolf’s Tax Hike Vote

Today, lawmakers will vote on Gov. Wolf’s third proposal for a tax increase. This “third time’s a charm” scheme reveals that Gov. Wolf has acknowledged his lack of support for both his original budget proposal and his September proposal.

CF’s Matt Brouillette spoke with WPHT’s Dom Giordano about this latest tax proposal and today's tax hike vote.

The latest tax proposal still calls for higher taxes on working families and would raise the personal income tax from 3.07 percent to 3.57 percent—a 16 percent increase in taxes on working families. Matt explains that these huge tax increases “would be primarily leveled at the middle class”.

Gov. Wolf’s proposal also includes a severance tax on natural gas–which would be in addition to the existing impact fee. Matt points out that this severance tax “would only pay for about 5% of all of Wolf's spending, the other 95% is going to come out of working Pennsylvanians’ paychecks in the form of a higher income tax”.   

Click here or listen below to hear more.

The Dom Giordano Show airs every weekday from 9 am – 12 pm. 

Follow Commonwealth Foundation’s SoundCloud stream for more of our audio content.

And for mobile listening, get the SoundCloud iPhone and Android apps.