Media and Bloggers Highlight Coming Pension Battle
In advance of Monday’s vote on HB 2497, the Union Pension Bailout—and afraid folks would be caught unaware of this lame-duck effort—the Commonwealth Foundation issued an action alert; highlighted 13 reasons to oppose HB 2497; posted related information on our blog; and held a conference call open to the media, citizens, and lawmakers. After a flurry of stories and editorials, blog posts, and alerts this weekend, ignorance of the legislation cannot be an excuse:
- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review editorial: State pension ‘reform’: Slapping taxpayers
- Post-Gazette story by Tom Barnes: Legislature’s pension bill blasted as ‘generation theft’
- Tribune Review Story: Pennsylvania pension ‘bailout’ proposal assailed
- AP Story: Praise, criticism for Pa. pension bill
- Mary Young’s column in the Reading Eagle: Battle rages on over pensions
- Gil Smart’s article in the Lancaster Sunday News, School districts stashing the cash (focusing on school districts’ fund balances), touches on the pension vote.
- WDUQ News blog: Conservative Group: Pension Bill Thwarts Reform
- Towanda Daily Review editorializes that Legislative lame duck sessions should be banned
Bloggers too have weighed in on the debate, helping to raise citizen awareness:
- NTU’s Government Bytes blog ask: Will Pennsylvanians settle for fake pension reforms?
- Lehigh Valley 9/12 Group blogs Lame Duck Voting — payback to supporters and generational theft?
- Bill Lawrence blogs: Delco Tea Partyers Take Stand Against Gen Theft Bill.
- Sights on Pennsylvania reposts our Policy Points
- The Thomas Jefferson Club blog posts: PA Bill on Union Benefits before House; Phone Calls Needed
- Bristol Township blog links to some media coverage of the debate.
- Grassroots groups, including PA Coalition for Responsible Government, Delco Patriots, Coalition for Advancing Freedom, Unite PA, Kitchen Table Patriots, Lehigh Valley Project 9-12/Tea Party Group, Pittsburgh Tea Party, West Chester Tea Party, have all issued alerts to their members.