"Free speech, exercised both individually and through a free press, is a necessity in any country where people are themselves free." - Theodore Roosevelt
- Include your name, address, phone number, and email address. Editors typically confirm authenticity of a letter before publishing it. You can request to have your personal information withheld from the publication.
- Keep your entry to two or three paragraphs. The average length for letters to the editor is 200-250 words. Be sure to conform to your paper's specifications for word length.
- If you are responding to a previously published piece, cite the title and date it was published. This helps readers understand the context of your comments.
- State your views clearly. If your letter is concise, it has a higher potential for being published.
- Proofread your letter. Editors look for well-written, grammatically correct submissions.
Don't know where to email your letter? You can select a Pennsylvania newspaper and send your letter with just a few clicks on our website.